Since last month’s EOMV one big thing has happened, followed by a lot of little ones: the trench footings went in; and the log store and water butts were reconstructed. This turned the garden into—if not a completely blank canvas, then certainly something with more potential for redrawing:
But that photo is a good couple of weeks old already; what about now?
The veg is starting to look great; so far, nothing has nibbled the kale:
I’m hoping that it won’t have to go under cover before we eat it; I’ve noticed cabbage whites tend to avoid kale. They don’t know what they’re missing!
The garlics are doing well, even the ones that have permitted a pak-choi underplanting:
That certainly lasted longer than the lettuces, which were stripped to ribs.
The Axis Of Tomato/Borlotti/Pea-Latvian is also thriving, just as the overwintered peas have probably podded their first and last:
The acer is basking in the sun:
And someone is basking on the acer:
The Rose They Couldn’t Kill is also full of itself:
And the Buddleia They Couldn’t Kill has been joined by antirrhinums, dug up from the trench soil, I suppose:
These have taken over from the myosotis, which has now relaxed back, its flowering done.
The shady pots are thriving:
The queer, opposite-leaved shrub that keeps growing up through the euonymous is glad of the loss of the privet:
So much so that it appears to be about to flower:
Which means I might finally work out what it is!
The Lavendula stoechas “Fathead” is going ballistic:
And the Lavendula angustifolia “Hidcote” isn’t far behind:
Cirsium rivulare “Atropurpureum” has avoided being eaten this year, and fended off cuckoo spit, both in part helped by me dousing it with water as puddle and spray respectively:
And the cheap pelargoniums we moved with from Cogges are into—what?—their fourth year maybe:
I might try cuttings again this year, although they’ll probably damp off.
Last, but not least, I’ve built another compost bay alongside the first:
This should really help with my use of my own compost, because one bay can be left to properly compost down, while I start on the other (especially when I add the pine cat litter, which tends to lock up nitrogen as it rots.) After a few weeks of turning the old compost, it’s ready; meanwhile, the new one can just keep receiving new material until I’m done.
Given the escape of compost from the existing bay through gaps in the pallets, I dismantled an entire pallet with wrecking bars:
And threaded the pieces through the pallet walls, blocking gaps. This meant I could transfer the existing compost into the new bay:
Leaving the old bay empty, and I was able to line it with the remaining sawdust from the log-store cutting, plus some rooster poo pellets as an accelerator:
Amazingly, I must have around half a cubic metre of compost, or 400–500 litres. That should get my growing off to a good start: once I’ve built those darn walls!
(Thanks to Helen Johnstone for hosting the EOMV meme. Helen’s taking a break from blogging, but I find these posts very useful myself, so I’m going to carry on anyway. Sometimes the point of a meme is it has its own momentum…!
This month, though, the Chelsea Fringe is also promoting the #mygardenrightnow hashtag on Twitter, and I’m hoping I can release this post in time for that. Thanks to Michelle Chapman for her efforts there!)